Welcome to the E-Blah Community!
We would like to welcome you to our community and invite you to register an account or login.
Being a registered member is important, as it gives you several advantages over the normal Guest status. After registering you will be able to download files and images, post messages, and access member-only portions of the forum - just to name a few. Registration is quick and simple, and only takes about a minute of your time.

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Recommendations on hosting services?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Recommendations on hosting services?  This thread currently has 1,160 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
nowhere girl
July 11, 2011, 11:50am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 1 days 38 minutes
Hi,

I've been very happy with my experiences with Eblah since I started using it over 5 years ago but am not happy with the hosting service I'm currently using. Last year the old hosting service I had been using for years decided to close so I newly signed up with this hosting service called HostNed. I've had so many problems with them but the main issue is that they limit how many files per directory can be seen via an FTP client to 2000. (no limit on how many files per directory can be UPLOADED) They changed it for me but every time they update the server, the setting would go back to the default. Our forum has over 2000 members and nearly 5000 attachments so I really need to find another hosting service that doesn't have this kind of limitation before my membership with HostNed expires next month.
What I don't know is if what HostNed says is true. According to them, every single hosting service that uses the cPanel will have exact the same issue. Does anybody know if it's true? I've talked to several different services today - Hostgator, Hostmonster, iPage and JustHost - and two of them (Hostmonster & iPage) reassured me that I wouldn't have to worry about this particular issue if I signed up with them while the rest two said the same as HostNed. I'm really confused. Can I change the way how eBlah stores the files in what directory so I wouldn't have to exceed the 2000 file limit per directory? Or are there any better hosting services that you guys could recommend? I can't afford a dedicated server or a VPS. I'm only looking at the services of around $5/mo.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Private Message Private message
Apollo
July 11, 2011, 1:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 45 minutes
If you don't care where the host lives, you could try:

Cheap Web Hosting for £17.99 per year including Web Builder

The only limit they have on their services is on web space, domain names, databases, and web space is 1 GB on the most basic package, and that's 17.99 GBP for the whole year.

(You can do the dollar conversion at current rate )

They don't have anything hidden awat like throttling or other games that some hosts seem to play, and when I asked them, they said they the only limits they apply on anything are those set out in the account package.

I've used them for 6 years, and no hassle yet, and they have helpful help staff if you have any problems.
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 1 - 9
nowhere girl
July 12, 2011, 10:09pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Thanks for the information but I'm afraid to say that 1GB is a little too small for me. The plan with the current hosting service gives me 20GB and is $39/£24.50 per year. My website is specifically designed for those who have or have had breast cancer and my forum will keep growing unless they find a cure so I think I need more space.

Anyone else can give me any other suggestions? Pretty please? My account expires next month and I have to find a new hosting service asap.
Private Message Private message Reply: 2 - 9
Martin
July 13, 2011, 11:01pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/web-hosting/

Both Home Pro and Business Pro have unlimited space.
Reply: 3 - 9
Nat
July 14, 2011, 9:57am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Reputation Score: +41 / -6
Time Online: 3 days 15 hours 31 minutes
I have a Heart reseller account, and no major issues

"Thats the way the mop flops"
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 4 - 9
nowhere girl
July 14, 2011, 11:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Wow, I didn't know Martin was back here. So happy to see you post because you've been soooooooooooo helpful.  

Thanks for your suggestions, Martin & Nat. (BTW I would assume that both of you were talking about the same hosting company. Is that correct?) I chatted with a lady on Heart Internet and my experience with her was amazing. Every single question I asked was answered very quickly and properly and she even said that they'd be happy to host my website when I asked her if the content on my forum could violate their TOS. (Members on my forum are all breast cancer survivors and post the photos of their bare breast to share and discuss about breast reconstruction surgery with others.) The only issue is that I can't use their online form to create my account (it only works in EU) but she gave me the email address to ask for my account manually. I'll email them in a couple of days and sign up with one of their plans. I'm looking to the one called Home Pro but should I need a reseller account like Nat has? All I need is the space to run the forum and some other small stuff. I don't have the need for multiple domains nor intentions to start online business etc.
Private Message Private message Reply: 5 - 9
Nat
July 14, 2011, 12:24pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
I look after hundreds of domains, and also many clients that have hosting from me, hence I have a reseller account. If for any rason you get any problems, give me a shout and I am sure that I will be able to accomodate you.

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 6 - 9
richmond
July 20, 2011, 10:03am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Reputation Score: +2 / -0
Time Online: 2 days 17 hours 23 minutes
Nat, Could you please send us your prices in an inbox did have a link to your site but lost it. Thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 7 - 9
Nat
July 20, 2011, 12:40pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
You have a PM

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 8 - 9
Stan
October 22, 2011, 5:18am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Time Online: 1 hours 21 minutes
I assume that you might have switched your hosting provider. Yet, thinking that others might be able to benefit from it, replying to this thread. There are a number of hosting providers that are considered to be reliable as well as affordable and have a good reputation in the Industry. But, more important it is to know your requirements well and that where you wish to host the site, I mean the geo-location of the server. This is one of the very important factors for your website to grow and serve well to users. The more the distance between the user and the datacenter that holds your site, the more is that latency, hence the site may respond late to customer requests.

I am in the UK, hence would recommend you Eukhost Ltd. I've been hosting my websites with them since 3 years approx. and happy to say that the service has been supreme, especially their 24x7 live chat and ticket board support. Wouldn't hassle to recommend it to anyone. Before, I've had terrible experience with one of the hosts (won't mention their name), long waiting hours, no quality support, when a friend suggested me of this company, it is known to offer one of the best web hosting UK services at a very affordable price.

Though there are others as well whom I've heard to have been offering competent services like JustHost, UKFast etc. but haven't felt the need to switch over to them until now.

It is also  necessary that one does enough research based on different parameters such as Uptime Guarantee, Money Back guarantee, 24x7 Support via. different means such as Live Chat, Tickets, forums, support boards etc., more preference can be given to managed services, check of the experience that a host has to ensure smooth functioning of your website(s). It helps a lot with keeping your website in the best shapes, believe me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Recommendations on hosting services?

Thread Tags
happy,  hosting,  service,  i,  years,  limit,  files,  directory,  hostned,  -,  issue,  signed,  eblah,  2000