Welcome to the E-Blah Community!
We would like to welcome you to our community and invite you to register an account or login.
Being a registered member is important, as it gives you several advantages over the normal Guest status. After registering you will be able to download files and images, post messages, and access member-only portions of the forum - just to name a few. Registration is quick and simple, and only takes about a minute of your time.

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Stop Forum Spam
Users Browsing Forum
Brianoxiny and 12 Guests

Stop Forum Spam  This thread currently has 398,411 views. Print
10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Recommend Thread
threewishes
July 20, 2012, 8:55am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Time Online: 3 days 2 hours 21 minutes
Just to be clear.

The account is still created. So we need to 'purge' these member names.

That happens when a known spammer IP/email signs up? Take me on the path, it allows them to signup, then what? No email conf? A message popups up on their screen?

Truely an amazing mod. :clap
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 136
Martin
July 20, 2012, 9:02am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi threwwishes, the accounts are not created if the user is found in the stopforumspam database, the registration will error before anything is saved.

This will not stop all spammers as they are not all in the database. What members need to do is join the forum at http://www.stopforumspam.com/ and then apply for an API. Once you have your API you will then be able to add the the ones that get through, the more the merrier. Once added to the database you can then delete them from your forum.
Reply: 16 - 136
threewishes
July 20, 2012, 9:38am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Time Online: 3 days 2 hours 21 minutes
Thank you Martin.,

I will be SURE to signup (everyone should) to help out ALL 'forum' owners out there.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 136
Fryedsoft
July 20, 2012, 5:31pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 3 days 8 hours 19 minutes
Here's my list of spammers for today.

72.74.48.121     ArtCit     Joiewcy6295@hotmail.com     July 20, 2012, 4:34am
69.147.252.94     KentGmh     ElfredaBlauvelt3515@hotmail.com     July 20, 2012, 5:40am
64.120.218.108     MichaelClarke     davisheiskell2@gmx.com     July 20, 2012, 7:16am
94.172.106.149     Nannie0W     adrazz@gmail.com     July 20, 2012, 8:59am
78.2.137.249     pipejirnyko267     sninnabub@gmail.com     July 20, 2012, 11:14am
176.9.221.100     IolaPeh     gwetsawrental@massopedia.com     July 20, 2012, 5:32pm
72.74.48.121     Jean87     Kinslowbzb4443@hotmail.com     July 20, 2012, 11:22pm

This thing seems to be working so well, I'm deleting my spam IP ban list to see what happens, since all of my bans are based from stopforumspam.com's database anyway.

This really should be added to the main eblah branch at github once testing is completed. If a 10.3.7 version of eblah ever comes out it could use a mod this effective built in.
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 136
Martin
July 20, 2012, 10:23pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Looking at what is being caught here, I would also stop yahoo and gmail address's from being able to register, 80% of the catches and it seems to be automated as they all have several attempts.
Reply: 19 - 136
Luvitsa
July 21, 2012, 12:28am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Time Online: 1 days 7 hours 51 minutes
hay Martin, today, with the Remove Website Address Mod in place, i have numerous new
members with their website listing in their profile  

http://www.suzi.bg Luv its a Bulgarian Thing - http://luvitsa.com/ Luvitsa Bulgarian Lioness
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 20 - 136
Luvitsa
July 21, 2012, 12:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Quoted from 1850
Looking at what is being caught here, I would also stop yahoo and gmail address's from being able to register, 80% of the catches and it seems to be automated as they all have several attempts.

in the ban users panel, can a wildcard be put in to ban the yahoo and gmails?

http://www.suzi.bg Luv its a Bulgarian Thing - http://luvitsa.com/ Luvitsa Bulgarian Lioness
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 21 - 136
Martin
July 21, 2012, 12:46am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Luvitsa
hay Martin, today, with the Remove Website Address Mod in place, i have numerous new
members with their website listing in their profile  

Have you been into the Admin Center and selected it?
Reply: 22 - 136
Luvitsa
July 21, 2012, 12:53am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Quoted from 1850

Have you been into the Admin Center and selected it?

urm, nope!

and can't seem to find where to do that  

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 23 - 136
Martin
July 21, 2012, 12:54am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Main Preferences at the top and under Enable Themes
Reply: 24 - 136
Luvitsa
July 21, 2012, 12:59am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Quoted from 1850
Main Preferences at the top and under Enable Themes

aha so ...

ADMIN PANEL

FORUM SETTINGS

MAIN PREFERENCES

click click  

thank you Martin (bunch o flowers)

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 25 - 136
Apollo
July 21, 2012, 11:44am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 45 minutes
Hi Martin.

Er... help!

I seem to have an unexpected problem - standard 10.3.6 install with mod_rewrite working.

When I upload the mods into the usual cgi-bin/forum/Mods directory I can see that they are there (I can also access them and edit them remotely ie, not using E-Blah.)

When I go to the Modification Center, all the mods I have uploaded are visible as names, but when I attempt to test or install any of them, nothing happens.

Also, when I try and edit one, nothing appears in the editor.

I also tried to install via Upload New Mod, but in the case the server denied my access (offhand, I don't know why, but I suspect my hosting service may be the problem. I have had similar issues before.)

I checked also the path, but this is just the usual ./Mods in the Forum Settings Directories and Web Addresses.

Any obvious silliness from me, or reason for this problem?

(Obviously, I have the ban domain mod installed, but I actually had to do this by hand, just by editing it into Register.pl - but I am perl illiterate in reality, so not an option for this one, which is not so simple or obvious.)
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 26 - 136
Martin
July 21, 2012, 2:46pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Guest User
Make sure you upload in ASCII, any other way and it won'r work.
If you get stuck then pm me ftp details and I'll upload for you.
Reply: 27 - 136
impished
July 21, 2012, 3:11pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
Forum Moderation
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Reputation Score: +3 / -0
Time Online: 2 days 15 hours 7 minutes
Quoted from 1850
Hi threwwishes, the accounts are not created if the user is found in the stopforumspam database, the registration will error before anything is saved.

This will not stop all spammers as they are not all in the database. What members need to do is join the forum at http://www.stopforumspam.com/ and then apply for an API. Once you have your API you will then be able to add the the ones that get through, the more the merrier. Once added to the database you can then delete them from your forum.

100% repeat this from Martin.
Every one of the scum that get past the blocks, I ASAP add to StopForumSpam website.  If everyone that uses the site to keep the scum out, it would make the list even more powerful...
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 28 - 136
Apollo
July 21, 2012, 5:04pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 45 minutes
Quoted from 1850
Make sure you upload in ASCII, any other way and it won'r work.

Ye gods!

I feel like such a dumpling, as I seemed to have checked and verified everything else but that

I went back to square one and managed the upload manually - and of course, the subsequent mod install worked just fine.

Thanks (for pointing out the obvious) - those woods and trees have a lot to answer for

With the 'Ban domain' option installed (which I am really using as a 'Ban string' mod now) I was down to one or two per day, but they seemed to be humans with a lot of time on their hands, since they seemed to watch for me removing them, then would renew the account within a few minutes of removal. But if I left it alone, they generally did not add another. Until another one found me of course, then it started to ramp up again.

I have installed the log option too, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

As with the others who have said 'Thank you' for the effort, you can add mine to the list.

I'm off to see if I can mod my wiki blocklist download script to add the Stop Forum Spam list once a day - as it has been suffering from the same batch of scum that seems to have raised the problem level here.

Thanks for the pointer.
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 29 - 136
10 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » Recommend Thread
Print

E-Blah Community    Technical Support    Forum Support  ›  Stop Forum Spam

Thread Tags