Welcome to the E-Blah Community!
We would like to welcome you to our community and invite you to register an account or login.
Being a registered member is important, as it gives you several advantages over the normal Guest status. After registering you will be able to download files and images, post messages, and access member-only portions of the forum - just to name a few. Registration is quick and simple, and only takes about a minute of your time.

E-Blah Community    Informational    Forum Updates  ›  Forum Spam Fix
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Forum Spam Fix  This thread currently has 344,715 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
maverick
April 17, 2013, 10:02am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Reputation Score: +3 / -0
Time Online: 256 days 2 hours 11 minutes
Quoted from Fryedsoft
From my experience with the Salting, it doesn't eliminate spamming, but it does at the very least stop the automatic bots well, and the registration farms are pretty much covered by stopforumspam and aksimet.

As for the image, I've using a different font for image Generation (jokerman) and modified the generation string to "width => 200, height => 40, lines => 8, font => "$prefs/font.ttf", angle => 10, scramble => 1, rndmax => 6, ptsize => 14" with 1500 particles .

I'm averaging about 20 registrations attempts per day with about 1 or 2 getting through stopforumspam a week using the above changes to securityimage + the salt. Before the salt I was get 70-100 attempts with 4 getting through stopforumspam a day. after the salt it was down to 30-40 with 2-3 through stopforumspam a week. adding the image changes dropped the registration down to today's levels.

As for the other image verifiers. the Assira mod seemed to do nothing to stop automatic bots, since I believe the bots would just call register directly after getting the security image instead of clicking the submit button which assira would protect, and the recaptcha mod didn't seem to work correctly and would let people register even if they didn't solve the captcha. Not sure if it was the mod since I was testing the StopForumSpam Mod at the time so they might have conflicted...

So far, out of all the spam blocking techniques I've seen, the stopforumspam mod is easily the most effective.

Yes I agree,  I've tried a few different fonts etc,   stopforumspam is the best solution by far.

Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 15 - 19
Apollo
April 21, 2013, 9:33am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Time Online: 3 days 4 hours 45 minutes
I forgot I had a link to this exercise, which is not new, but still interesting as it goes into some detail regarding the Captcha breaking tool:

Troy Hunt: Breaking CAPTCHA with automated humans

Also...

I have never actually got around to reading this on but I thought I might as mention it:

Block Disposable Email Addresses ยป Purpose
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 16 - 19
Nat
April 22, 2013, 3:10pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Reputation Score: +41 / -6
Time Online: 6 days 3 hours 30 minutes
IP (Invision) board is using the Stop Forum Spam solution, and others asking a "Human" Q+A is also proving to be a solution. All forms of just Captcha, lets be honest are now broken, and must be ditched, even Captcha is now looking at "Key Captcha" as a possible answer.

Martins Stop Forum Spam Mod, has go to be the most vital ingredient needed as a vital fix for eblah. I only have 4 forum left running this script and Stop Forum Spam is catching on average a new user at least once every 5 minutes.

The Stop Forum Spam, along with a human Q+A is going to be the way forward  

"Thats the way the mop flops"
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 17 - 19
joann14
April 23, 2013, 8:47pm Report to Moderator Report to Moderator
E-Blah Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Reputation Score: +1 / -0
Time Online: 9 hours 31 minutes
I have a minimum of over 100 spam registrants per hour and have for 6 months. Everyone here is so knowledgeable in computer programing where I am not. I called HostGater who is the server for my website and they too suggested Captcha.

Would anyone here be interested in installing what is needed to stop this 'spam storm' for me? I would be willing to pay someone for the help. Thx.
Logged Offline
Private Message Private message Reply: 18 - 19
Nat
April 24, 2013, 4:14am Report to Moderator Report to Moderator

Here to help
Administrator
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Reputation Score: +41 / -6
Time Online: 6 days 3 hours 30 minutes
Martin would be the best to help you, if you PM me I can let you have his details as he is no longer an active member here

"Thats the way the mop flops"
Logged Offline
Site Site Private Message Private message Reply: 19 - 19
2 Pages « 1 2 Recommend Thread
Print

E-Blah Community    Informational    Forum Updates  ›  Forum Spam Fix